Baked Creamy Coconut Crusted Mac + Cheeze
Comfort food I love you.
There’s no doubt that I love pasta, like I’d say that 98% of my diet consists of chickpea or brown rice pasta, and ya know what I’m perfectly ok with it! I have Italian blood in me, and I definitely don’t shy away from cozy bowls of pasta.
I made this dreamy dish for one of my best friend and I’s for lunch the other day, and she said “this reminds me just of my mom’s mac + cheese,” so with that I decided I can’t hold off any longer from sharing this with you!
This creamy bowl of comforting goodness is made with the perfect combo of nutrients; white kidney beans (for that protein), nutritional yeast, coconut milk, and dusted off with a coconut cashew crumb for the perfect big batch meal. I’m going to be taking this dish to my summer parties this season and I bet all the non veggies won’t even be able to tell the difference. This reminds me exactly of my grandma’s baked mac + cheese that I used to have after school as a kid, except for I’m holding the cheese on this number.
You can totally adapt this recipe to your own diet/preferences, add cheese if you like it, throw in some mushrooms, peas, or cherry tomatoes, or use different nuts for the crumb. Store in an airtight container and add a splash of almond milk for leftovers.
Now I’m going to stop rambling about this and time for you to get into the kitchen! I hope you have a great week! x
Baked Creamy Coconut Cashew Crusted Mac + Cheeze
450g/6 Cups Brown rice/Chickpea macaroni
3 Cups Cubed Frozen Butternut Squash
1 tsp Minced Garlic
1 Tbsp Olive/Avocado oil
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
1/2 Lemon (juiced)
1 Can Cannellini Beans (white kidney beans) (rinsed + drained)
1 Can Full Fat Coconut Milk
1 Cup Nutritional Yeast
2 tsp Paprika (skip if you don't like spice)
1 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (again, skip if you don't like any kick in your dishes)
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Granulated Garlic
1/2 Cup Raw unsalted cashews
4 Tbsp Shredded coconut
2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
1/2 Lemon (juiced)
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Olive Oil
Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
2. In a baking tray add the frozen butternut squash, 1 tsp minced garlic, and coat with oil. Roast for 20 minutes.
3. While the butternut squash is roasting cook the pasta according to the instructions on the back of the packaging.
4. Once the squash is roasted allow to cool for 5 minutes and reduce the oven to 350F. In a food processor or blender add the squash, beans, 1 cup nutritional yeast, coconut milk, 1/2 the juice of a lemon, paprika, cayenne, cinnamon, 1/2 tsp of nutmeg, along with the granulated garlic.
5. Blend until a smooth sauce forms.
6. Fold the sauce into the macaroni noodles and add to a 9-inch dutch oven (basically any casserole dish will do).
7. To make the crumb, in a food processor pulse the cashews, coconut, 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast, 1 tsp olive oil, 1/2 juice of a lemon, and 1/4 tsp nutmeg, until a crumb consistency forms.
8. Cover the pasta with the cashew coconut crumb and bake for 20 minutes uncovered.